The microfiber is also known as the “microfibre”. This is so small and its size is 1 denier or a gram per 9000 meters. Comparing to the human hair, its diameter is only 1/100th. And if you compare it to a strand of silk, the microfiber is 1/20th of its diameter. A microfiber is composed of synthetic fibers such as polyester and nylon. This has thin strand than can maintain its shape. It is made up of about 200,000 fibers in every square inch.
Nowadays, the microfibers are widely used in some industries. These are used in cleaning all surfaces. Microfibers are also used in clothes, apparels, furniture, and car seats.
As cleaning cloth, microfiber is best used in wiping or cleaning in all surfaces. Since microfiber cloth is made up of minute synthetic fiber strands, particles such as dirt, dust, and other debris are attracted easily. This cloth attracts dirt particles just like a magnet. It holds the dirt with its open spaces unlike with cloth that it just pushes around particles and not totally cleaning it. The fiber is very fine making the surfaces smudge free. Microfiber towel is also excellent in removing stains, grease, and smudged dirt. It is best used in scrubbing bathrooms, removing dust and dirt on appliances, and cleaning the interiors of cars. It can also wipe the chemically treated clothes. It performs well in cleaning windows whether the cloth used is dry or wet. This cloth can absorb up to seven times more liquid than its weight. Thus, this makes it best in cleaning glass surfaces without smudging and having no trace of residues.
Even microfiber is best in cleaning different surfaces, it also needs proper maintenance and extra care because it is prone to damages because it is used in various surfaces. It is important that the microfiber cloth is properly cleaned and thoroughly dried every after usage. The prescribed washing and drying of microfiber product must be followed to ensure its long life and cleaning efficiency.
Microfibers are found in athletic clothes and apparels. This is becoming popular in clothing industry because cloth that is made up of this is cool to wear because they say that the skin can “breathe”. Because of this, clothes that are made up microfiber are designed for athletes especially during times of practice and extensive training where sweating and perspiration occur. In fact some well known brands, like the Dockers, use microfibers in their product lines because of the ability of the cloth to repel liquids. Actually, pants made up of this fiber are not prone to stains.
Different Types of Microfiber Mops
Basically, there are two categories of microfiber mops and these are the wet mop and dust mop. These mops have different specific uses but both are effective in cleaning the floor and other surfaces.
Wet Mops – under the wet mop category, there are two types of this:
• Looped End Mop – this type of wet mop has more surfaces that are exposed and it can clean wider surface in just one swipe. It takes less time in cleaning and with just single stroke or swipe on floors, the area is already clean. It can absorb more liquid and it can hold it there for long period. There is no snagging or scratching on floors and furniture. This type mop is popularly used nowadays because of its cleaning performance. And because of this, its selling price is higher than an ordinary mop. However, this high price is compensated well with its cleaning performance and the time saved in using it. Anyway, this is washable so it can be used for a long period of time as long as proper maintenance and care is done and the prescribed drying and washing are followed. Its strands do not fray and ravel as time goes by if it is properly cared.
• Cut End Mop – this type of wet mop is best used in cleaning spills. This is advisable for home use because spills are usually experienced there. This mop is cheaper as compared with looped end mop. Its structure is entirely different with the other type of wet mop. Based from its name, the end portion of a cut end mop is removable or it has a cut on its end. Its strands are attached only at the end band of this mop. Cut end mop is relatively cheaper because of its replaceable and disposable strands. The strand of this mop may wear off over time making it difficult to clean or wash therefore it is not advisable to clean it using washing machines.
Dust Mops – The dust mop is smaller as compared with the common mop. This is the other type of microfiber cleaning. Dust mop in blue color is intended for mopping wet surfaces while dry surfaces for the white one. The different types of dust mops are:
• Loop End Dust Mop – this type of dust mop can clean wider surface area just like in looped end wet mop. This is best used in picking small particles like debris, dirt and dust. It can trap these particles once it is wiped on the surface. The loop end dust mop, based from its name, has looped back and it is sewn so that the strands are protruded or pointed from the body of the mop.
• Cut End Dust Mop – this mop is made differently from the loop end dust mop. It also has strands which are protruded from the body of the mop but it has a cut at the end. The cut end dust mop is designed for cleaning more fine particles.
• Clip Style Dust Mop – the name of this mop refers to the way the mop is attached to its frame. Clips or snaps are used in securing the mop from its frame.
• Tie Style Dust Mop – this dust mop has two ties on both sides and the ties are tied to a bow in order to secure the mop to its frame.